Ever since I can remember I've heard the comment that there is "no difference" between Canadians and Americans. I respectfully beg to differ as there is a difference on so many levels! We have unique Canadian culture consisting of Canadianisms, a Canadian perspective on world events, Canadian cuisine as well as products and foods only available in Canada. This blog is dedicated to celebrating all things Canadian from "my perspective" as a Canadian. Please enjoy your visit and be sure to visit often.

Garden Gnome
Americans should never underestimate the constant pressure on Canada which the mere presence of the United States has produced. We're different people from you and we're different people because of you. Living next to you is in some ways like sleeping with an elephant. No matter how friendly and even-tempered is the beast, if I can call it that, one is effected by every twitch and grunt. It should not therefore be expected that this kind of nation, this Canada, should project itself as a mirror image of the United States.
- Pierre Trudeau

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Verified Canadian™ Certification



A couple of days ago I stumbled upon a site called Really Made in Canada while looking for information on the new rules pertaining to food labeling in Canada. Over the past several years there has been a growing concern over labeling with respect to origin. As a Canadian I want to buy Canadian and support Canadian workers. As a foodie, I want to know the origin of the foods I put on the table. I know the importance of supporting our local farmers and I want them to be recognized for their work in a fair manner that ensures they can put food on their tables. As a Canadian consumer I want to be informed as to the origin of the goods I purchase. As I read through their site, I kept thinking this is so in line with many of my ideals as a Canadian. At the same time I couldn't help but think something my readers would be interested in. I contacted them about displaying the logo with a linkback to their website not realizing my site would have to go through an application process and be verified Canadian in order to use the what I thought was another 125 x 125 card. I did not realize this 125 x 125 was a certification similar to the "certified organic" or "Fair Trade" logos on food packaging.

Verified Canadian™is an independently, privately owned brand of Made in Canada. Only projects, businesses or organizations that are solely owned by Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada are entitled to be considered for Verified Canadian™ certification. What does this mean? It means 100% Canadian including labour, detailed disclosures for products claiming to be "made in Canada" and grown in Canada produce. It also means the owner/business is practicing Fair Trade with respect to the environment. This certification ensures that you as a consumer are getting a Canadian product. As a Canadian author of a Canadian blog it means a great deal to me just in being recognized for Canadian content and my efforts in promoting Canada.

They sent me the application which I filled out and waited anxiously. I was elated with the reply! My blog is now has now been Verified Canadian™ certified. I am now able to proudly display the trademark in its permanent location in the top sidebar. Please click to visit their website. It is a very, very interesting read written by Canadians, for Canadians and with an overall goal of keeping Canadians informed. If you see this trademark on a product in a store you can be sure is has been Verified Canadian™ meeting all the criteria of a Made in Canada product.


0 comments:

Post a Comment