Pictured is the twin spans of the Blue Water Bridge taken from our boat at the mouth of Lake Huron looking towards the St. Clair River. Sarnia, Ontario is to the left of the picture where a water tower can be seen. Port Huron, Michigan is to the right. The waters under the bridge are always considerably rougher due to wave rebounds from the breakwalls combined with strong water currents.
The Blue Water Bridge is an international twin-span bridge spanning the St. Clair River between Point Edward/Sarnia, Ontario and Port Huron, Michigan. Construction began on the original cantilever truss bridge on June 24, 1937 has a main span of 871 feet (265 m) and total length of 6,178 feet (1,883 m). The bridge was built by Michigan and Ontario Highway Departments and State Bridge Commission of Michigan. Modjeski & Masters and Monsarrat & Pratley, Consulting Engineers. Dedication ceremonies were held on October 7th, 8th, and 9th with Mitchell F. Hepburn, Premier of the Province of Ontario and Frank Murphy, Governor of the State of Michigan officiating. The Bridge was opened for regular traffic on October 10, 1938.It opened on October 8, 1938. The second span constructed in is a continuous tied-arch bridge has a total length of 6,109 feet (1,862 m) with main span is 922 feet (281 m). The twinning project was a combined effort between Modjeski & Masters (American engineers) and Buckland & Taylor Ltd. (Canadian engineers). During the twinning project the border crossing remained open with traffic being diverted as required. Two temporary masts were erected to assist in the construction of the tied arches. The second span three-lane bridge, to the south of the original bridge, opened on July 22, 1997. The original bridge was immediately closed for extensive renovation. It was reopened in 1999. The two bridges are one of the busiest transportation arteries between the United States and Canada, second only to the Ambassador Bridge at Detroit-Windsor.