Ever since I can remember I've heard the comment that there is "no difference" between Canadians and Americans. I respectfully beg to differ as there is a difference on so many levels! We have unique Canadian culture consisting of Canadianisms, a Canadian perspective on world events, Canadian cuisine as well as products and foods only available in Canada. This blog is dedicated to celebrating all things Canadian from "my perspective" as a Canadian. Please enjoy your visit and be sure to visit often.

Garden Gnome
Americans should never underestimate the constant pressure on Canada which the mere presence of the United States has produced. We're different people from you and we're different people because of you. Living next to you is in some ways like sleeping with an elephant. No matter how friendly and even-tempered is the beast, if I can call it that, one is effected by every twitch and grunt. It should not therefore be expected that this kind of nation, this Canada, should project itself as a mirror image of the United States.
- Pierre Trudeau

Sunday, May 30, 2010

A Canadian Accent You Say, eh?

smiling mouth image
My husband and I do a fair amount of traveling outside of Canada. On more than one occasion I have been accused of having a Canadian accent.  In fact this comment comes up on just about every trip we make outside of Canada and it is most often directed to me rather than my husband despite the fact we are both Canadian born.    During our recent trip it came up again a few times always in a positive light such as "I love your Canadian accent!".  I made the comment to my husband that I did not have an accent of any kind to which he replied, "Oh but you do and it's about as Canadian as it could get!"  Say what?  Here even my husband was telling me I have a Canadian accent!  So what is a Canadian accent?

Canadian English varies from American English in that we use the British spelling of certain words.  According to eHow there is a distinctive Canadian accent that is easily recognizable.  Apparently Canadians draw out the vowel sounds in words as well as emphasizing them more than Americans.  Canadians speak slower, round the "o" and flattening the "a".  In addition to the distinctive pronunciation of vowels and certain words there words that are uniquely Canadian terms aka slang that serve as a give away that you are Canadian.  Of course the ubiquitous "eh?"  and Canadian politeness are two of the most recognizable components of the speach pattern although neither are really part of the Canadian accent but rather distinguishable Canadian teminology

I'm not convinced I have a Canadian accent but according to others I do and apparently it is very, very noticeable.  My husband on the other hand is seldom told he has a Canadian accent but rather he is asked if he is Canadian if he uses certain words.  I attribute this difference in dialect being due to my ancestry going back to the first Canadian settlers (French, English) and Aboriginal Canadians while my husband is first generation Canadian on his paternal side and second generation Canadian on his maternal side so had the infuence in his speach patterns from those who's first language was not English.


0 comments:

Post a Comment